Saturday, July 30, 2011

Around Town Conversations

I'm stopped to get water at the Exxon near my house on Hwy 90.  It is pre-dawn and my bike is rigged with my Dinotte head and tail lights.  A fit looking guy in his 40's is loading ice into his boat.  He has  a couple of friends with him. 
He turns to me and says, "Man, I can see your light for a mile!"
I reply, "That is what I like to hear."
He says, "I'm a rider too.  But I've been off for a couple of years due to a  knee injury."
I ask, "Where are you from?"
He replies, "Kerrville."
I comment, "You've got some great riding there."
His tone becomes boastful, "Yeah, it is tough up there.  Not like this flat stuff around here."
He continues, "I use to ride 200 miles a week.  I've done 15 Hotter-N-Hells and 5 M  150's."
I asked him, "Have you ever heard of RAAM?"
He answered, "Sure."
I said,  "I did solo RAAM this year."
Embarrassed, he replied, "Well, got to get these guys on the water.  C'ya."

I'm stopped at the Stripes near HEB.  Again, it is a pre-dawn ride so I'm geared for the night time.  A girl is fueling her car and she begins  to walk toward the front door of the store.  I notice her looking at me and I return a smile.  She keeps looking and  I know she recognizes the orange glasses. 
As she gets closer she asks, "You're that guy, aren't you?"
I said, "Yep."

I'm  in Walmart doing some shopping.  I'm pushing my basket down the cereal isle.   Up the isle I notice a kid about 6 or 7 years old bashfully checking me out.  I don't pay too much attention and then I notice he is a little closer, turning his head as if to get a better look at me.  I then see his Mom with her basket at the front of the isle.  The kid looks at Mom and I see Mom smiling at me and she mouths the words "Ask  him" to her son.  The boy is very shy.  He turns to his Mom again.  She mouths "Go ahead, ask him."  I push my basket toward the boy to meet him halfway.  He then gets up enough courage and asks, "Are you Dex?'.  I said,  "I sure am and I am very happy to meet you."   His Mom then told me how they had both followed me throughout RAAM.  I didn't recognize either one of  them.  I wish I had had a photo with me that I could have autographed and given to the boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment