Monday, July 25, 2011

Why I Nearly Lost RAAM


I’ve been going over the route book, 12 hour time sheets, sleep breaks, etc. trying to figure out why I was so close on the bubble of finishing RAAM.   It didn’t take long to discover where it happened.   The worse leg of RAAM for me was around Parker AZ.   As I neared Parker in early afternoon, the temps were already in the 100’s.  I was weak, dehydrated and very tired.  I had lost 14 lbs since starting RAAM due to dehydration, emesis and diarrhea. 
I had 5 episodes of diarrhea in Bessie while at Parker.  Conice injected an IV.   I actually couldn’t tell much immediate relief.  Even though I didn’t get to sleep, this break still cost me about 90 minutes
By the time I left Parker, the air temp was 112 – 115.  I have no idea how hot it was coming off the pavement.  I just know I could feel the heat baking my legs as I rode.  I was genuinely concerned about heat stroke.  I would only ride for a couple of miles at a time.  Then I would get in the a/c of the car, put cold towels around my neck and do anything else I could do to try to keep my core temp down.  Of course I was still sick and weak during all of this.  We decided to try to sleep during the heat.  I went down for an hour. 
It is 107 miles from Blythe, CA to Salome, AZ.  It took me nearly 13.5 hours.  That is only 7.92 mph.  Even being sick, I had averaged 12 mph from Oceanside to Blythe.   Parker is definitely where I nearly lost RAAM.



No comments:

Post a Comment