Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Light Switch


Unfortunately I have nerve damage in both hands since completing RAAM.  This damage results in numbness and tingling in all 10 digits and also a loss of strength and function of my thumbs and index fingers.  While I am sure the damage is temporary, it is very frustrating for the time being.
It is amazing the simple everyday things we use our thumbs for that we take for granted.  For example, with no sensation in the tips of my fingers, I smear shave cream on my face and do good not to get it in my eyes or in my ears.  Buttoning a shirt is totally impossible.  No way I’m able push that little white round object through that elliptical slit.  Thank goodness for Velcro on shorts.  When I try to start my car, I have to put one hand on the key and take the other hand to turn it on.  I won’t even mention some of the more personal ways my loss of thumbs is affected.  Of course I’ve figured out a way to ride my bike by shifting gears with my palms.  I mean, after all, you do have to take care of your priorities.
Anyway, I have this light switch at my house.  To turn the light on, you have to grab the little knob with your finger and thumb.  You then turn it for one click and nothing happens but you turn it another click and the light turns on.  And every since RAAM, no matter how hard I try, I have not been able to click it even once.  My light switch has become my measure of progress or lack of.  I awaken every morning and the first thing I do is go to the light switch and try to turn on the light. 
Well, this morning I stood courageously in front of my light switch and grabbed it with my finger and thumb.  I strained and struggled with all my might and the switch clicked once.  I refused to give up and I continued my effort until it clicked the second time and the light came on.  I was elated.  I felt like I just made it up Wolf Creek Pass again.  I was so happy.
BUT!  I got ready to leave my house for the day and I went to turn the light off.  I strained and struggled with all I had, but I could not turn the light off to save my life.  I ended up getting a towel and unscrewing the light bulb with my palm. 
Oh well, there is always tomorrow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment